Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Off-Road YMCA Sprint- Race report

Two weeks ago...before broken arm!


Well this was my first race back after a long hiatus of injury. Although it was a seemingly small race I still wanted to race well. My typical racing schedule does not include Xterra racing, but since the infamous Adam Wirth helped put the race on I wanted to support his efforts. Adam was nice enough to let me borrow his cross bike for the race (or I was dumb enough to borrow it) since I only mountain bike about once or twice a year, although I enjoy it, fitting it into my road roading just doesnt work. Anyhow Neil and I did a pre ride of the grueling 8.5 mile (lol) course the day before. I felt like the cross bike would be fine as long as I took the downhills carefully. The next morning I was nervous and unprepared for the race preperations. Out of practice and excited to race again, my wife had to make sure I was ready like a little kid on first day of school. "Got your race belt, shoes, number, etc," she said. What would I do without her! Off to the race...



I start first with the fastest swim split. I know its only a small sprint race but still pretty excited..calm down...off on my bike I go. My plan bike as fast as possible for the first loop! One min into the race Pro Adam Wirth passes me like I am on bike with training wheels.

I thought well he a pro, then 3 more people pass me! Darn it! Ok time to really focus and ride hard. I sit in 5th place for the rest of the loops. Gaining respect from my fellow racers for racing on borrowed cross bike and keeping the gap small on top guys. Into transition I am in 5th place.

Neil right on my heels. My goal run as fast as possible for as long as possible. I know great racing strategies for the the bike and run! I pass John Shilt at about 1.5 miles in, then the next racer, now I am in 3rd. With only 3.5 miles on the run I could not make up the gap on Tom or Adam. Finishing strong and fastest run of the day, I was happy! Tom and Adam are fantastic athletes and my hat goes off to those guys. After the race we hung out for some great food and raffle prizes. I even won a free entry to Xterra Canada...which later Adam informed me that its the most difficult course on the circuit. Well I guess I am going to need to borrow a bike, and maybe I should ride a few times beforehand? Great race overall and fun being back in the mix with the boys.




Me and Dr. J




Adam 1st, Tom 2nd, Me 3rd




Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment